Re: [exim] SMTP AUTH strategy

Author: Jason_Meers
To: jean-paul natola
CC: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP AUTH strategy
jean-paul natola wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to come up with a solution for allowing SMTP AUTH for a few users-
>
> The reason I say only a few users is the following;
>
> My setup here is BSD running Exim /Clam & SA-
>
> 90% of my users bypass this box when sending mail as they connect directly to an Exchange server, However, we have a few users that are unable to do this as they are in 3rd world countries that do not, as of yet have broadband- so they normally send smtp via their ISP's SMTP server- ( which WAS working ok) now we have numerous issues-
>
> an example of one is here;
> 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [41.204.40.26] blocked using sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org; http://www.spamhaus.org/SBL/sbl.lasso?query=SBL52368
>
> another issue was that on multiple occasions , the ISP's server got screwed up and kept resending messages for a period of 72 hours -
>
> so we had received the same messages approx 2 hundred times over a weekend - till I was able to get them to remove the message from the queue;
>
> So I would like to have these particular users send via my SMTP with AUTH, however , since all the user accounts i have here reside on my exchange server they do not have accounts on the BSD box-
>
> What avenues should I be exploring given my circumstances-
> any ideas/thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated-
>
> TIA

I may have misunderstood you here but... if your problem is that your
users are unable to send via the exchange server because of SMTP AUTH
issues, rather than a deliberate design decision to stop these users
from sending via the exchange server then this document may help:

http://www.exim-new-users.co.uk/content/view/101/39/

Do you already have WebMail in place? It won't care if you are sending
from a range of dynamic/blaclkisted IP Addresses.

Thanks
Jason_Meers
--
website at: http://www.exim-new-users.co.uk