Re: [pcre-dev] Here is pcre-7.1-RC2 for you to play with

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Bob Rossi, pcre-dev, Craig Silverstein
Assumpte: Re: [pcre-dev] Here is pcre-7.1-RC2 for you to play with
On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Bob Rossi wrote:

> I just built a static version of pcre on mingw out-of-the-box!

Excellent news.

> Unfortunately, make check seems to fail. I've attached the output. Is it
> obvious what is wrong here?

Looks almost certainly like a CRLF thing. I do have it in mind to work
on the tests to try to minimize the discrepancies in different newline
regimes. But I think we should get 7.1 released first.

> It appears that the cp command in the Makefile,
>   pcre_chartables.c: pcre_chartables.c.dist
>           cp pcre_chartables.c.dist pcre_chartables.c
> should be,
>   pcre_chartables.c: $(top_srcdir)/pcre_chartables.c.dist
>           cp $(top_srcdir)/pcre_chartables.c.dist pcre_chartables.c
> with that change it works properly.

Oops.

> The test suite passes on cygwin.
>
> -- dynamic linking on cygwin --
>
> This works just like static building.

Cool! (Or as the new English slang has it "Book!" - because if you
press 2665 when texting on your phone, the predictive text gives you the
latter rather than the former.)

> OUT-OF-DATE COMMENTS ABOUT WIN32 BUILDS

Thanks for your comments on that. I'll incorporate them.

> [*] But note that the supplied test files are in Unix format, with just LF
> characters as line terminators. You will have to edit them to change to CR LF
> terminators.
>
> Wow! Maybe this is why the test suite failed. What can be done about
> this? We really should fix this so that it Just Works for users.

In fact, it was only the pcregrep tests that failed for you. I think
that fixing all of this is probably a 7.2 issue.

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Sheri wrote:

> I am getting some discrepancies in testoutput with RC2; don't know if
> they are anything to worry about, but would be happy to send along the
> files with comparison differences (I compare visually with kdiff).
> testoutput 1, 4, 8 and 9 all passed completely.

It might be worth sending the diffs to me (off list) and I'll check them
out.

> size disagreements and memory code space differences

Something else I have on my list for post-7.1 work is to minimize the
possibility for these problems (see the /Z option in pcretest, which
I've just invented).

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Craig Silverstein wrote:

> Philip: one thing you can do to test for stuff like this is to run
> 'make distcheck' before distributing. This does various things to
> make sure the distribution ('make dist' output) is sane.

Thanks for the tip.

> As for me, I ran the tests on my redhat 9 machine, with both
> default and --enable-utf8. In both cases, all tests passed for me
> without issue!

> Oh, I forgot to mention: I also tried cross-compiling pcre, and
> everything compiled great.

Good!

I'm doing some other stuff just at the moment, but will pick this up
again soon (including your CRLF bug, Sheri) and maybe get to -RC3 early
next week.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel, University of Cambridge Computing Service.