[exim] SMTP and ports 25 and 1025; was "smtp through a ssh .…

Author: Easthope
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] SMTP and ports 25 and 1025; was "smtp through a ssh ..."
Folk,

At Wed, 14 Mar 2007 23:26:46 +0100, Magnus Holmgren said,
"If you're tunneling *from* a unix-type OS as a normal user, you
can't use
listen on port 25 since it's privileged."

Ah!

Mail is received via POP3, port 110 with no trouble.

I am tunneling to Debian Linux for sending mail via
SMTP. So apparently the problem is that the exim
daemon is not allowed to receive messages at 25
through a user tunnel?

So this might make a working tunnel?

SSH.StartForwarding peter@??? 25:localhost:1025 ~

Or perhaps root should make the tunnel?

SSH.StartForwarding root@??? 25:localhost:25 ~

mh> Can SSH.Tool be told to give you some debug output so you

can see in what end the connection fails?

If a problem remains after I understand port usage and
tunneling, will investigate debugging.

At Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:29:28 -0700 Marc Perkel said,
"Here's an example ..."

Thanks Marc. autossh is not available on the client end.
It might help on the server end.

At Wed, 14 Mar 2007 20:44:47 +0100 Worf ... er I mean Marc Haber said,
"There will be time to read the docs before you ask any more questions
here."

At the crack of dawn this morning, I read
/usr/share/doc/exim4-base/README.Debian.html .
Unfortunately, not a word about port usage.

Thanks,                    ... Peter E.