Re: [exim] Unroutable Address Question

Author: Magnus Holmgren
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Unroutable Address Question
On Tuesday 13 March 2007 19:12, Marc Perkel wrote:
> Peter Bowyer wrote:
> > >
> > > I would have thought that but that's not what's happening. I'm wondering
> > > why I'm getting unroutable address due to DNS problems?

Well, as you probably know Exim will give up if a temporary problem persists
for long enough (duh!), and may thereafter treat the temporary problem as
permanent, or give up after the first try, for a while, depending on your
configuration. Other than that, unreachable DNS servers is treated as a
temporary problem.

> > Depends what the nature of the problem is, I guess - if the
> > autoritative severs for the domain are returning NXDOMAIN somewhere,
> > you could get unrouteable status - what's the domain name in
> > question?
>
> Actually it's the nane servers for uu.net. The problen is that they have
> 2 name servers and they are sequential IP addresses. There is also a
> network routing problem between me and them so it looks to my servers as
> if they are down.

AFAICS uu.net has two pairs of name servers. That doesn't prevent them from
being all unreachable from your end though.

; <<>> DiG 9.3.4 <<>> uu.net ns
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 4, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 4

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;uu.net.                                IN      NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
uu.net.                 3009    IN      NS      auth210.ns.uu.net.
uu.net.                 3009    IN      NS      auth00.ns.uu.net.
uu.net.                 3009    IN      NS      auth60.ns.uu.net.
uu.net.                 3009    IN      NS      auth200.ns.uu.net.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
auth00.ns.uu.net.       10317   IN      A       198.6.1.65
auth60.ns.uu.net.       3028    IN      A       198.6.1.181
auth200.ns.uu.net.      1720    IN      A       195.129.12.82
auth210.ns.uu.net.      3841    IN      A       195.129.12.74

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@???
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)