Re: [exim] smtp through a ssh tunnel to exim4

Author: Magnus Holmgren
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] smtp through a ssh tunnel to exim4
On Monday 12 March 2007 19:29, peasthope@??? wrote:
> This is my configuration for sending mail from home.
> SSH is not needed on my LAN. This works with no problem.
>
> Oberon MUA at home ==LAN==> exim4 at home ==WAN==> ISP
>
> This is the trial configuration for sending mail from a
> remote location, most commonly from work.
>
> Remote Oberon MUA ==ssh tunnel==> exim4 at home ==WAN==> ISP
>
> It fails. exim4 appears to not acknowledge the ssh connection.

How do you set up the tunnel? Something like "ssh -L 1025:localhost:25
home.example.com"? Do you get connection refused when you try to connect to
the local end of the tunnel, or what happens? Is there anything relevant
in /var/log/exim4/mainlog?

> Someone please tell me how to coerce exim4 into relaying
> a message submitted through a ssh tunnel.
>
> Where is the exim4 configuration stored? I have
> /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template but no
> /etc/exim4/exim4.conf .

Please read /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/README.Debian.html to fully understand
how the Debian Exim 4 package works and differs from the mainstream release.
The configuration Exim uses is autogenerated
from /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template *or* all files in /etc/exim4/conf.d/*,
and is therefore in /var/lib/exim4/.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@???
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)