[exim] manualroute, route_data and fallback hosts

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] manualroute, route_data and fallback hosts
Hi,

I have a manual route router with a route_data option that expands to
"torres.zugschlus.de:bar.zugschlus.de". This is only a test setup.

This works fine as long as bar.zugschlus.de exists in DNS. When
bar.zugschlus.de is removed from DNS (as might happen when one
delivers to a third-party domain that is not under local control), the
router fails the message, preventing its delivery.

Setting the host_find_failed option to different values did not cause
the desired behavior, the broken host bar.zugschlus.de being ignored
and delivery taking place to torres.zugschlus.de. All I could get out
of the router was either passing the address to the next router or
faling the address.

How can I make a manualroute router ignore non-existing hosts in
route_data and only error out if none of the hosts listed are
available?

Greetings
Marc