Re: [exim] How to send bounce messages just after error

Author: Magnus Holmgren
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] How to send bounce messages just after error
On Monday 05 March 2007 12:10, lista_exim@??? wrote:
> No, I don't want to use
>
> verify = recipient
>
> because it needs an extra search in my LDAP (my accounts are in LDAP), and
> I don't want to reject the mails at RCPT time.

It that extra search that expensive? I think you will get more trouble with
undeliverable bounces and collateral spam than you will save by not verifying
the recipient.

If the set of valid recipients doesn't change too rapidly, perhaps you can
cache it in some other format that can be searched more cheaply?

> I want to receive the message, then send a bounce message to the original
> sender (with the original message attached to it), and that Exim doesn't
> send the original message to the queue.

Unfortunately Exim doesn't work that way. After Exim decides that the message
is to be accepted, but before acknowledging that fact to the sending host
with the final 250, the message is written to the spool so that it won't be
lost. *Then* Exim attempts the first delivery, finds that it failed, and
sends a bounce.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@???
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)