Re: [exim] Case-(In)sensitive Plus Addressing with Maildir D…

Author: Magnus Holmgren
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Case-(In)sensitive Plus Addressing with Maildir Delivery?
On Wednesday 28 February 2007 21:03, Rich, Whidbey Telecom wrote:
> I've begun testing "plus addressing" to support the delivery of email
> such as "user+topic@???" to a user-created IMAP folder:
>
> /var/mail/user/Maildir/.topic/new/
>
> [...
> local_transport:
>          driver = appendfile
>          create_directory = false
>          maildir_format = true
>          directory = /var/mail/$local_part/Maildir${if exists{/var/
> mail/$local_part/Maildir/.${substr_1:$local_part_suffix}}{/.$
> {substr_1:$local_part_suffix}}{}}

Tip: use match to avoid repetition:

          directory = /var/mail/$local_part/Maildir${if match
                 {$local_part_suffix}{.(.*)} {${if exists{/var/
                  mail/$local_part/Maildir/.$1}{/.$1}}}}

(with reservation for brace mismatch).

> It delivers to the "topic" Maildir only if the user has already
> created it. Otherwise, it's delivered to their top-level Maildir.
>
> However, I've hit a snag with the case-(in)sensitive nature of
> addressing. Despite the RFC's, users are accustomed to the fact that
> "user@???", "User@???" and "USER@???" will be
> delivered to the same "user". Some systems and web-forms even
> lowercase addresses. However, a message addressed to "user
> +topic@???" doesn't match a directory named "Topic" on an ext3
> filesystem.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion to tell Exim how to deliver to "Topic",
> even if the $local_part_suffix is "topic"? We realize one solution
> is to force all IMAP folders to be lower-case, but would prefer to
> explore other options.

Do you want completely caseless matching or just transform everything to
initial caps (optionally after trying "topic" as is)? The latter is
relatively easy at least.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@???
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)