Re: [exim] A couple of news items

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] A couple of news items

--On 23 February 2007 18:19:46 +0000 Tony Finch <dot@???> wrote:

> I recently found an MX server survey conducted by a company called
> "security space". According to them, of the 53% of mail servers that
> identify themselves, the top 4 are Sendmail, Exchange, Exim, and Postfix,
> in that order.

Thanks for this. It'll help us to support our choices during our current
service review.

> https://secure1.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.200701/mxsurvey.html

But, everyone knows that qmail is the most popular mail server. Don't they?
;)

Oh, I see. Qmail is a toaster. Well, that would explain why my Plesk VPS
has such crappy email reliability!

<https://secure1.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.200701/mxsurvey.html#x22>

Seriously though, Qmail in Plesk doesn't identify itself, so perhaps it
does fill a good proportion of the 50% of servers that don't identify
themselves.

It's interesting to note that the survey shows more than 50% of Exim users
are using a recent version (4.63). I guess the updates since then haven't
been significant to most people. All but about 4% are on 4.50 or above.
That compares well with Sendmail, Posfix and MS.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex