Re: [exim] Archiving Email

Author: Sander Smeenk
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Archiving Email
Quoting Joseph (lists@???):

> With flat files, your friend would be grep. With maildir you would need
> a mail client, which might be ok, unless we are talking hundreds of
> thousands of messages.

Currently i store 'old messages' in maildir format and tar those.

Thing is, to get a specific message i have to know the exact maildir
filename or i have to untar the complete archive and go from there...
Which isn't all that bad if you are talking about your private mailsetup
with a couple of mailinglists, but company wide this can be a real pain.

With mbox format you can usually just zless or zgrep through the gzipped
mbox. Even cooler, mutt is able to read gzipped mboxes!. Mbox can easily
be searched through with numerous tools from the cli too...

So i'd say... Go for mbox format :-)