Re: [pcre-dev] Development Infrastructure

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
著者: Nuno Lopes
To: pcre-dev
題目: Re: [pcre-dev] Development Infrastructure
Sorry for arriving later in the game, but I was on vacations.
Let me introduce myself: I'm a PHP core developer and I co-maintain the PCRE
extension. I also work on some other open-source projects.

> Working from Philip's document:-
> http://people.pwf.cam.ac.uk/ph10/pcrefuture
>
> Source Maintenance
> ------------------
>
> If left to me I would tend to push PCRE into a subversion repository - I
> find that more convenient than CVS, can be easily hosted and is pretty
> easy to make available for anonymous access with low risk to the hosting
> system. However I have no axe to grind particularly with this. [Actually
> I use SVK layered on top of subversion, but thats irrelevant to the
> repository and to other people, but allows disconnected development].

I think this is the most important thing for now. Surely the autotools/cmake
patches are important, but we really need to move on, and that means
creating a CVS/SVN/.. repository. I must say I'm happy with both CVS and
SVN, so I don't vote on either one.

> If we went with subversion then I would be prepared to do the work to
> import the history into the system.

great. I think having all releases tagged is a must.

> Development Infrastructure
> problem and I would be prepared to do that initial work.

I think that hosting PCRE on some kind of "private" server is risky. They
can shutdown it from one day to another. Also a strong backup policy must be
assured.
Although the final word should be left for the author, I think moving to an
external provider is a good thing. I also host 2 projects on sourceforge and
I have mixed feelings about them. They have many useful tools, but their
infrastructure is usually slow and has too many downtimes. I haven't tried
the other players myself, like Google Code, GNU Savannah, etc.., but I would
bet on one of them.

Nuno