Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE autotools patch drg1

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Philip Hazel
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Daniel Richard G.
Υ/ο: pcre-dev
Καινούρια Θέματα: [pcre-dev] List status
Αντικείμενο: Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE autotools patch drg1
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007, Daniel Richard G. wrote:

> Hello everyone! I trust we're all subscribed to the new list?

I am, but in case not everyone is, I'm leaving the cc's for this
message.

Comments on your message:

> * Tweaked the handling of pcre.h, pcre_stringpiece.h and pcrecpparg.h so
> that they don't get distributed. (These three, as you recall, are
> generated from *.h.in files)

Er, I think it was your suggestion that the best way to deal with
version numbering for enviroments that have to compile "by hand" was to
distribute pcre.h, wasn't it? I think this one needs to be reversed,
probably with a prominent comment somewhere to say why.

> * Test 36 was giving me a different file order from the reference, so I
> added a sort(1) invocation to the script to stabilize that. (I added
> LC_ALL=C at the top of the script, so that exotic locales don't give us
> a different sort order.)

This was a work item on my todo list that I was planning on fixing.

> * Make this use "/usr/bin/env perl" instead of "/usr/bin/perl" for
> portability.

How is "/usr/bin/env perl" different from just "perl"?

> * Could we rename this to perltest.pl? I'd like an explicit extension to
> make clear that this is not a binary.

I don't mind either way, but RunTest and RunGrepTest don't have
extensions.

Comments as a result of trying the patch:

$ patch -p1 <../pcre-7.0-drg1.patch
patching file autogen.sh
patching file CMakeLists.txt
patching file Makefile.am
patching file RunGrepTest.in
patch: **** malformed patch at line 371: jkl" $testdata/grepinputx >>testtry

Oops. It's the pesky newline and CR characters that are breaking it. I
removed the relevant lines from the patch and applied them later by
hand.

* When I compiled:

pcre_compile.c:85:6: warning: "EBCDIC" is not defined
pcre_compile.c:265:6: warning: "EBCDIC" is not defined
pcre_compile.c:424:6: warning: "EBCDIC" is not defined
pcre_compile.c:565:6: warning: "EBCDIC" is not defined
pcre_compile.c:592:6: warning: "EBCDIC" is not defined
pcre_compile.c:614:6: warning: "EBCDIC" is not defined

This is because you have changed from "#define EBCDIC 0" to "#undef EBCDIC"
without changing the source.

Then there were several of these:

In file included from pcrecpp.cc:33:
./config.h:209:1: warning: "_GNU_SOURCE" redefined
<command line>:1:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition

Nevertheless it compiled successfully and ran the tests OK.

BUT: --disable-cpp did not work; it seems to be completely ignored. I
tried a few other options such as the UTF8 ones, and they worked fine.

Thanks for your work on this patch. It seems to be getting better and
better.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel, University of Cambridge Computing Service.