Re: [exim] Exim forwarding using .forward files and Dovecot

Author: Wouter Verhelst
To: FreeStyleGames
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim forwarding using .forward files and Dovecot
On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 03:34:59PM +0000, FreeStyleGames wrote:

> Hello I am having some trouble with my exim .forward file. I want to be
> able to filter incoming messages into a certain folder based on their
> subject. This seems simple enough and works provided that that the
> folder in my inbox already exists, however I want the folders to be
> automatically created for me.
>

> My .forward file is shown below when the message arrives it creates the
> folder /$home///Maildir/.INBOX.test/ /without any trouble but it is not
> however recognised by my IMAP client (Thunderbird).
>
> I think this may be because the server uses dovecot and all the other
> IMAP folders have the following files in
>
>    dovecot-uidlist  dovecot.index  dovecot.index.cache  dovecot.index.log

> When exim creates a new folder these files aren't created and so maybe
> dovecot doesn't think they are valid IMAP folders.
>
> Any ideas?

This is really not an exim question, but has everything to do with IMAP
and your mail client. Just hit "refresh folders" in your mail client
through whatever interface it has for that, and you'll see them
magically appear.

You may also have some success by subscribing your users upon creation
of a new mail folder, but that depends on whether your mail client uses
the IMAP subscription feature. In the case of dovecot, subscription is
done by a Maildir/subscriptions file.

-- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22