Re: [exim] Exim 5 Wishlist

Author: Richard Pitt
To: Marc Perkel
CC: exim-users, Jan Srzednicki
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim 5 Wishlist
I can think of a couple of reasons to do this - and lots not to:

for: scalable central store that multiple machines can address with
better?(different) locking than NFS provides
for: different security model from disk store

against: performance - today's disk systems are essentially hierarchical
file systems anyway - especially like Reiser. SQL generally requires far
more resources for similar performance - especially with "blobs" of any
size. RAM for SQL server takes away from RAM for disk caching.
against: most messages don't hit the data store anyway if the system is
working the way it is supposed to
against: central database can't be replicated (potential for multiple
deliveries of single message) so scalability is limited and means a
single point of failure

There are likely others

Maybe you should share your reasons.

richard

--
-
Richard C. Pitt                 Pacific Data Capture