Re: [exim] Limits on address expansion

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Limits on address expansion
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 09:37:23 +0000 (GMT), Philip Hazel
<ph10@???> wrote:
>A thought: I wonder, from your previous mention of queue runners, if you
>think that the queue runner is the *only* way messages are delivered? If
>so, you haven't quite understood the way Exim (as normally configured)
>works. If 20 messages arrive at once, all 20 will immediately be
>delivered, using up to 40 simultaneous outgoing connections (with
>remote_max_parallel at the default of 2). The queue runners work only on
>messages that have previously had a temporary delivery error.

The system in question is running with queue_only = true to take
advantage of the two-stage queue running process invoked by exim -qq.

Most of my setups use real mailing list software which batches up the
outgoing mail into many messages with a few hundred recipients each.
The current case, where an alias is used to expand a single address
into a list of 20K recipients, is a "first" for me and I was
dumbfounded by exim not having delivered to the first thousand
recipients after an hour.

Unfortunately, the system owner decided to replace exim with postfix
before I found out about remote_max_parallel. Postfix delivers to all
20K recipients in like five minutes.

Greetings
Marc