Re: [exim] [n@@b question] delete email if 550 error

Author: Peter Bowyer
Subject: Re: [exim] [n@@b question] delete email if 550 error
On 14/02/07, mailing@??? <mailing@???> wrote:
> > Peter wrote:
> > Actually he needs to do a recipient callout including the DATA phase -
> > something which SMTP doesn't cater for, so no amount of wishlisting is
> > going to help :-)
>
> Do you mean that I can't do it with the current version of Exim?...

I mean you can't do it with the current version of SMTP.... there's no
stage in the protocol after sending the DATA that you can back out of
the transaction based on the server's response - which is what
recipient callouts rely on.

So unless you run your backup MX as a transparent proxy (using
something other than Exim), which defeats the object of having a
backup MX in the first place, your only real alternative is to make
the backup into the primary and do the spam filtering there.

I think we've already recommended that a few rounds of email ago....

Peter

--
Peter Bowyer
Email: peter@???