[exim] Fwd: [n@@b question] delete email if 550 error

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Peter Bowyer
Betreff: [exim] Fwd: [n@@b question] delete email if 550 error
Doh - reply-to caught me out...

I wrote:

On 13/02/07, mailing@??? <mailing@???> wrote:
> > Kjetil wrote:
> > I've just been analysing our logs from a greylisting experiment, and it
> > turns out quite a few servers will give up delivery after 3 hours. so
> > if you can guarantee the server never will be down for more than 2
> > hours, you won't lose mail. we don't keep postmasters on 24/7, so this
> > could very well happen, although we hope it never will due to the
> > redundancy in our setup. a backup MX isn't that hard to set up, anyway.

Since that was a greylisting experiment, it does't simulate a
MX-unreachable event, so I doubt that the behaviour observed can be
extrapolated.

> Thank you for this analysis.
> A power failure (or whatever) could easily turn off servers for more than
> 3 hours (on week-ends, near midnight~).

Time for a better hosting company?

> > (I don't see why the OP doesn't simply turn on spam filtering on the
> > backup MX.)
>
> I did turn on a spam filtering feature, but as I said before: the primary
> MX is a shared web hosting machine, which I can't control (thus I am not
> able to know which anti-spam filters are set on the other side).

Then make the current 'secondary' MX into the primary MX, install the
spam filtering that *you* need and *you* control. Reject unwanted mail
inline, deliver known-wanted mail to the current 'primary', treating
it as a simple backend mailstore.

Peter

--
Peter Bowyer