[exim] Help: manualroute router and ignore_target_hosts?

Author: Mike Brudenell
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Help: manualroute router and ignore_target_hosts?
Greetings -

Could someone help shed light on what the problem is with the following?

I have just noticed that out Authenticated SMTP server (running Exim
4.63) is accepting messages destined for recipients whose domain name
is an MX pointing at local or loopback addresses: eg, at 127.0.0.1

Our Authenticated SMTP servers merely accept mail and pass everything
on to the main mail gateways, so I use the manualroute router to do
this. Rather than accepting e-mail to such problematic recipients
only to then have it refused by the main gateways (currently still
running Sendmail) I'd like to ignore/drop them at the A-SMTP server.

I have found the ignore_target_hosts option and read in the
manualroute router section (20.2) of the Exim 4.63 Specification:

> The generic ignore_target_hosts option applies to all hosts in the
> list, whether obtained from an MX
> lookup or not.

This implies/confirms that the generic ignore_target_hosts option
should work with the manualroute router.

However trying this shows it doesn't seem to work: I tried sending a
test message to one such problematic e-mail address, expecting Exim
to reject it as unrouteable. Instead it was accepted by the
send_to_smart_host router (see below) and transmitted to the main
mail gateways, only to then get it rejected (subsequently depositing
it in my Postmaster mailbox! :-(

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong, please? Here is the
section from the configuration file:

begin routers

# This router routes all non-local addresses to a central smart host.

send_to_smart_host:
ignore_target_hosts = 0.0.0.0 : 127.0.0.0/8
driver = manualroute
route_list = !+local_domains mta.york.ac.uk
transport = remote_smtp

Cheers,
Mike Brudenell

--
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York Yo10 5DD, UK
Tel:+44-1904-433811 FAX:+44-1904-433740

* Unsolicited commercial e-mail is NOT welcome at this e-mail address. *