Re: [exim] Exim 5

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John W. Baxter
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim 5
On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, John W. Baxter wrote:

> Philip, just out of curiosity, how is the PCRE community handling your
> retirement. Important as Exim is to those of us here, PCRE is the more
> important project to the world at large (not to mention a wonderful service
> to that world by you and the University).

PCRE has indeed turned into the classic tail that wagged the dog. But
there is no "PCRE community" as such - there has never been a mailing
list and I've done pretty well all the maintenance myself.

As it happens, just at the moment there is a "project" being done by one
lead and two assistant PCRE users to convert the building scheme into
one that uses automake, and at the same time be something that can use
Cmake so as to make life easier (hopefully) for all the different
environments in which PCRE is built. I think this is perhaps the start
of a PCRE development community.

I should probably pursue the setting up of a mailing list, and
ultimately get PCRE into a CVS system - but that is probably best done
once the current upheavals are finished and everything has settled down
again. But nothing has been decided.

In some sense PCRE is a "quieter" project than Exim - its environment
isn't changing as fast as the email world so the pace of development is
slower.