Re: [exim] Adding disclaimer with exim-4

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Adding disclaimer with exim-4
On 2/7/07 3:30 AM, "Richard Clayton" <richard@???> wrote:

> less capable email clients (such as some of those made in
> the Pacific Northwest of the USA) asking me why I keep sending extra
> attachments with funny characters in...    viz: you cannot assume that
> every client will properly cope with multiple attachments in a good way

One really can't count on Redmond-based MUAs doing things right with any
part of a message. Consider Outlook 2000's cute trick of encoding attached
PDF files in quoted-printable, if the message is styled text and Outlook's
global preference for styled messages is set to text/rtf (the default)
rather than text/html.

Unfortunately, the quoted printable does not conform to the quoted printable
spec. Outlook 2000 can understand it, if the recipient happens to use it.
Other MUAs (including Outlook Express) cannot--they tend to produce a faulty
PDF file which crashes Acrobat (and, in those days, Acrobat Reader) on any
platform.

(For text/html, the encoding of the attachment is correct Base-64.)

--John