Re: [exim] require verify = sender

Author: Peter Bowyer
Subject: Re: [exim] require verify = sender
On 07/02/07, Matt Hemingway <matt.hemingway@???> wrote:
> Hello all! I'm a little confused about what happens if verify = sender is enabled:

If it's enabled just how you've written it, Exim will check that it
knows how to deliver mail to the sender's domain before it accepts the
message. That simply means running the sender address through the
routers - no active measures are taken.

> If I enable verify = sender and my mail server can't ask the mail server of the sending address or if the server of the sending address returns anything other then a 550 will the message still be accepted by my mail server?

verfy = sender/callout with various sub-options does the above, and
then tries to deliver the envelope of a bounce message to the sender.
If it gets 550'd, then your server will refuse the message. You can
control what happens in edge-cases such as a temporary failure to
reach the server in question.

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.66/doc/html/spec_html/ch40.html#SECTcallver

Peter

--