Re: [exim] [patch] "do nothing" ACL modifier

Author: Magnus Holmgren
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] [patch] "do nothing" ACL modifier
On Wednesday 07 February 2007 15:59, Marc Sherman wrote:
> Magnus Holmgren wrote:
> > I disagree. The RHS of almost all conditions and modifiers is expanded.
> > Would anyone think that the RHS in "ignore = this" or "disregard = that"
> > would be skipped over as if it were a comment?
> >
> > IMHO "ignore" or "disregard" refer exactly as much to the intention of
> > the modifier as "expand" does, and likewise refers exactly as much to the
> > implementation as "expand" does. I mean, the admin shouldn't use a
> > modifier called "disregard" unless he intends the result to be
> > disregarded; disregarding the result is not merely how some arbitrary
> > feature was implemented. Or have I misunderstood you?
>
> Think about it from the other direction -- I have some functionality I
> want to add to my ACL, and I don't know what code to write, so I hit the
> manual looking for something that seems right. Am I more likely to be
> thinking, "I just want to expand this string" or "I just want to ignore
> this string"?

I'm of course too biased to answer that question, but I would imagine that
after reading that "[t]he arguments of conditions and modifiers are
expanded", I would probably be thinking the latter.

But I find it more even likely for a novice to be looking for a modifier that
explicitly executed SQL statements.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@???
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)