Re: [exim] [patch] "do nothing" ACL modifier

Author: Magnus Holmgren
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] [patch] "do nothing" ACL modifier
On Wednesday 07 February 2007 14:05, Marc Sherman wrote:
> Magnus Holmgren wrote:
> > Here is a sudden patch that adds (I hope) an ACL modifier that does
> > nothing. The RHS is expanded and the result is discarded.
> >
> > The modifier could also be called "ignore" or "nevermind".
>
> I think "expand" would be a better name; "ignore", "nevermind" and
> "disregard" all refer to what is really the implementation, while
> "expand" is more about the intention of the modifier.

I disagree. The RHS of almost all conditions and modifiers is expanded. Would
anyone think that the RHS in "ignore = this" or "disregard = that" would be
skipped over as if it were a comment?

IMHO "ignore" or "disregard" refer exactly as much to the intention of the
modifier as "expand" does, and likewise refers exactly as much to the
implementation as "expand" does. I mean, the admin shouldn't use a modifier
called "disregard" unless he intends the result to be disregarded;
disregarding the result is not merely how some arbitrary feature was
implemented. Or have I misunderstood you?

Disclaimer: This is not really that important...

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@???
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)