Re: [exim] Exim4 Anti-Image-Spam Program

Author: Craig Whitmore
To: W B Hacker, exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim4 Anti-Image-Spam Program

> A) Do I understand that your method works with DSpam or otherwise does
> NOT
> require SA?

It is a standalone program. No other anti-virus/spam is needed. I used DSPAM
instead of SpamAssassin, DSPAM does find most of the spam as well. It will
run without dspam or any other type of spam protection. My Intercepted Spam
folder was at least filled with 50% of image spam (Which Dspam found). now
it is alot less than 1% Image spam (with about 5000 spams getting into the
spam folder per day normally). If you check the source it isn't very
complex at all in the method employed.

> B) Do you perchance have any statistics, specifically and only from the
> '40,000
> per day' that your software is nailing, as to how many of these were
> also/might
> have been rejected by other means, to wit:

I will only check for Image Spam if it actually makes it into exim. Ie all
the RBL,Helo checks, pipelining etc are valid.

> C) Any evidence of 'False Positive' hits? i.e. - it is dirt-simple to
> reject ALL
> graphics attachments, unless from 'whitelisted' sources, but that is a
> whole
> 'nuther issue.

Rejecting all messages with images attached is quite bad. People image
signatures, Incredimail etc would all get rejected if you do it this way.

I have no real stats at the moment for the mail but we get millions of
emails which attempt to come in per day. but one thing I've noticed recently
in the % of animated image spam has reduced.

Thanks