Re: [exim] Experimental SPF spec...

Author: Peter Bowyer
Subject: Re: [exim] Experimental SPF spec...
On 06/02/07, Dan_Mitton@??? <Dan_Mitton@???> wrote:

> It seems to be a glaring omission that you can't use libspf2 in the HELO
> ACL. It seems like this is an Exim deficiency or am I missing something?
> Can the experimental SPF Exim spec be enlarged to include maybe something
> like an 'spf-helo' check which would be usable in the HELO ACL?
>
> Comments?

The SPF project currently can't make up its mind whether to recommend
checking of the HELO independently of the MAIL FROM. When the Exim
implementation was written (before RFC4408), the recommendation was to
check HELO only in the case of null senders - which you don't know
until the MAIL ACL of course. The Exim implementation will follow this
recommendation (at least, that's how I read the code).

4408's wording is a bit unclear, and the project is debating what
should be done about it.

In the meantime, the Exim implementation doesn't provide fine-grained
access to the libspf2 library in order to check HELO independently of
MAIL FROM. So using it at HELO time is moot.

I was wondering if I had time to look at using perl calls to the new
Mail::SPF module to have a bit more of a play......

Peter

--
Peter Bowyer
Email: peter@???