Re: [exim] Tls on connect as and SMTP Client

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Tls on connect as and SMTP Client
On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 22:37:41 -0600, "Bill Milford"
<bill@???> wrote:
>I deliver my mail using a smarthost router to my ISP - AT&T Yahoo DSL. They just sent a memo out that
>effective March 1, 2007 they are requiring us to use TLS-ON-CONNECT on port 465 to send mail. I have read
>the sections in the manual about TLS and exim as a client and didn't see anything that will allow me to
>set tls-on-connect as a client. I know I can use port = 465 in the transport to force the traffic to
>SSMTP port. Does this tls-on-connect option exist for SMTP clients?

AFAIK, exim cannot do tls-on-connect as a client. tls-on-connect is an
obsolete protocol that was never standardized beyond being the only
thing supported by some Microsoft clients.

Considering that you're talking about the symbiosis of Yahoo and AT&T,
I suspect that you would be better off by talking to a sign post on
the street into offering STARTTLS on Port 587.

Maybe the recipe given at
http://www.technovelty.org/linux/tips/exim4ssmtp.html can help here.
Please notice that the recipe uses the expression "ssmtp", which is
also a reference to a different, non-exim MTA, not to be confused.

Please report back if it works, I'd like to document this in the
Debian exim docs. If Yahoo requires this obsolete mechanism, we're
going to get a lot of queries about this.

That being said, it would be great if yahoo would also support
STARTTLS on tcp/587.

Greetings
Marc