Re: [exim] Persistent storage per-message

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Persistent storage per-message
Matthew Hodgson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When routing an address in a router, is there a way to store a flag in a
> variable/header such that when the message is finally delivered by a
> transport to one of the other recipients, the transport's behaviour can
> depend on that flag? I'm trying to get the presence of an alias-resolved
> recipient to affect the behaviour of delivery to other recipients of a
> message.
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> Matthew.

AFAIK, there is only one available bucket - 'address_data' - that carries across
that bridge. But, AFAIK, you must act on it - not store it.

Headers added within the delivery process also have soem utility - but may be
less useful, as they are sort of 'held in abeyance' then applied all at once.
Or not.

(usual disclaimer - I could be wrong, I've been wrong before...'

One can read the acl_m variable values in router/transport sets, as they are
stored with the message. But one can no longer write to them, so they would
have had to have been set up in acl's before hitting router/transport phase.

Can something be set be set by a 'verify' router pass before leaving the acl's?
Yes - in a manner of speaking. But I don't know if you can get enough detail
beyond 'pass/fail' to do anything more specific.

*externally* - one can do SQL reads/write just about anywhere, at any time - and
that data can be written as well as read, (and the internal message ID used)
with further results read later.

But that is probably outside the scope of your question - as would be manual
routers that called complex-as-need-be external scripts, perl, and such.

IOW - 'there is bound to be a way'. It just may not be simple.

HTH,

Bill