Re: [exim] Defining "Virtual"

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Defining "Virtual"
On 1/30/07 2:08 PM, "W B Hacker" <wbh@???> wrote:

> The 'virtual memory' usage should probably have been called 'virtual core'
> when
> it first appeared and we might not have gotten into this fuzzball.

Except that very few modern machines use "core". (I'm not even sure Atlas
used it.) That doesn't stop Linux dumping into "core" files.

My favorite IBM core memory patent avoidance machine, from 1961, used
magneto-strictive delay lines for main memory (and a shorter one for the
accumulator). (And an endless loop 35 mm sprocket driven magnetic tape for
"rotating" storage.) (And BCD encoded as excess-3...that is "0" was 0011.)

--John