Re: [exim] RCPT delays and PIPELINING

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Mike Cardwell
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] RCPT delays and PIPELINING
On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, Mike Cardwell wrote:

> RFC2920 states in section "3.2. Server support of pipelining" :
>
> (2)   SHOULD elect to store responses to grouped RSET, MAIL FROM,
>       SEND FROM, SOML FROM, SAML FROM, and RCPT TO commands in an
>       internal buffer so they can sent as a unit.

> It's only a "should" rather than a "must", but doing the auto-flush kind
> of goes against this.

Yes, but that was written a while ago, probably before anybody was
thinking about using delays. Sites probably SHOULD turn off PIPELINING
when using delays, but if we introduce auto-flush, Exim will cause less
trouble when delays are introduced without doing this.

Besides, you often can't decide whether to use delays till long after
EHLO, which is your only chance to disable PIPELINING.