Re: [exim] / in userpart

Author: Chris Lightfoot
To: exim-users
CC: Marten Lehmann
Subject: Re: [exim] / in userpart
On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 08:59:10PM +0100, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 20:47 +0100, Marten Lehmann wrote:
> > a customer of us asks us to allow a slash in the userpart of a
> > forwarder-target. The default configuration of exim excludes this
> > character and even while I know how to allow it, I'm not really sure if
> > I should actually allow it. Is this RFC conform? Is this good practise?
> > We also allow # and + sign which doesn't look correct in my eyes but
> > does work technically.
>
> I would reject / as the first character (to avoid confusion with
> filenames), but even that would conform to the RFC. Lotus Notes seems
> to like to use / in the OU path, e.g.
> HOMME_KJETIL/GT/SAPP/USIT/UIO@???

yeah. you only need to reject it in incoming local-parts
if you're certain that your setup ever constructs
filenames naively from local-parts. i've also seen systems
which reject mail whohse *senders* have /s in local-parts;
the logic of this (if any) escapes me. this is especially
irritating if you (e.g.) generate local-parts by
base64- or base32-encoding something (e.g. VERP cookies)
and then you find some sites reject them.

--
``What has happened to us? We have suffered a technological calamity.
Television is now our form of government.'' (Kurt Vonnegut)