Re: [exim] changing mail-address for MAIL FROM exim uses ins…

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] changing mail-address for MAIL FROM exim uses insmtp-transport
Marko Pilop wrote:
> hi,
>
> i discovered an annoyance in my mail-setup:
> whenever i send an authenticated mail via exim to a remote destination,
> exim connects to that server, issuing the 'MAIL FROM:'-command with
> $authenticated_id
>
>     MAIL FROM:<pilop@???>

> since i'm able to change the address i'm sending mail from once i'm
> authenticated, i want this happen for the above 'MAIL FROM:', too.
>
> e.g.: i'm authenticated as user pilop@???, but want to send mail as
> marko@???, the issued 'MAIL FROM:' to the remote server should be:
>     MAIL FROM:<marko@???>

> delivery of that mail still works, but as the "wrong" 'MAIL FROM:' is
> used, the Return-path is "wrong", too
>
> i did not found any options to configure such behavior.
>
> cheers
>    marko

You can do it in Exim with custom routers and rewriting, BUT..

Given that essentially every MUA in town can handle more than one mail account,

- would it not be reasonable to simply set yourself up a second account with the
desired credentials/ID - login as *that one* when you wish to be seen as sending
from that account. Smtp sending login here - not necessarily POP/IMAP login.

EX: (Using Mozilla/SeaMonkey) - simply create more than one 'outgoing' server,
(same box, different UID:PWD), then associate those settings with the selected
ID. Use whatever you need to in the 'From;' and 'Reply To:' MUA settings.

Moz/SM and seveeral other MUA also have no trouble using separate UID:PWD
(and/or servers) for smtp submission and POP/IMAP retrieval. Built-in.

You may also - if desired - have Exim store the incoming for POP/IMAP retrieval
in the same place, (shared Mbox or Maildir) or in different places (per UID).

IOW - None of this is ordinarily Exim dependent - nor need it be.

Advantage: You can control *which* account is used for each message you send
from the desktop at he time of sending. Important when only one account is
subscribed to a mailing list for posting, just to name one example, and much
handier than muking about with server-wide Exim settings.

HTH,

Bill