Re: [exim] Speed of SMTP Banner

Author: Jason_Meers
To: gshine
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Speed of SMTP Banner
Shine, Gary wrote:
> For some reason the SMTP banner takes several seconds (between 4 and 8) to
> respond. It looks odd as if I telnet to the POP port (110) I get an
> immediate response, while port 25 is slow.
>
> The machine has dual processors and is idle, so I would epxect a faster
> response. DNS queries on the machine are immediate, and my config file is
> basically the dafault.
>
> Also on the machine telnet 0 25 is immediate? so why not remotely.
>
> Exim is not wrapped or anything like that and was started as exim -bd -q1h
>
> Any clues?
> Gary

Here are the options you need to look at. These example is taken from a
default Exim config file like this one:
http://www.exim-new-users.co.uk/content/view/133/39/

The RFC mentioned can be found here:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1413.txt

# The settings below, which are actually the same as the defaults in the
# code, cause Exim to make RFC 1413 (ident) callbacks for all incoming SMTP
# calls. You can limit the hosts to which these calls are made, and/or
change
# the timeout that is used. If you set the timeout to zero, all RFC 1413
calls
# are disabled. RFC 1413 calls are cheap and can provide useful information
# for tracing problem messages, but some hosts and firewalls have problems
# with them. This can result in a timeout instead of an immediate refused
# connection, leading to delays on starting up an SMTP session.

rfc1413_hosts = *
rfc1413_query_timeout = 30s

Thanks
Jason_Meers