Re: [exim] Auto-whitelist

Author: Chih-Cherng Chin
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Auto-whitelist
On Thursday, January 25, 2007 2:26 AM, Craig Jackson wrote:

> We use exim 4.62 with mysql. I'd like to set up whitelist that is
> automatically updated with $recipients value when a user in our domain
> sends out an email. The $recipients is a comma delimited list of the
> recipients available during data acl. I see that it can be done using
> the Perl but I was hoping not to have to use Perl for performance
> reasons. Has anyone done this without using Perl?

I have done something similiar without using embedded Perl while setting
up greylisting. The sender and recipients of every outbound mail are
stored in a DBM file. With the help of exim acl, recipients' reply would
skip the greylisting automatically. It greatly reduces the number of ham
mail deferred by greylisting.

The way I do it is very simple:

1. Add "log_selector = +received_recipients" to the configure file, so
    both the sender (default logged) and recipients will be kept in mainlog.
2. A shell script, invoked by cron every 30 minutes, processes the
    log and generates data pairs in suitable format, which are then merged
    with existing entries.  It also expires entries which are too old.

In a word, I process it in batch. Performance is good, as the shell script
never
get my attention when I monitor the system. I believe you can do the same.

Chih-Cherng Chin