Re: [exim] Send Mass E-mails Quicker

Author: Magnus Holmgren
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Send Mass E-mails Quicker
On Wednesday 24 January 2007 21:38, altendew wrote:
> My mail queue currently says..
>
> "There are currently 7722 messages in the mail queue."
>
> These arnt spam they are just unsent messages. Is there any option in Exim
> to make it send these out faster, my server can handle a bigger load. Does
> exim send one out at a time, or does it have multiple spools?

Exim by default makes a delivery attempt right away after receipt. If several
messages were received over the same connection, all are delivered in
parallel. Queue runners, however, deliver one message at a time, but if the
same message has many recipients, they are delivered to in parallel, up to
the limit set by remote_max_parallel. If one queue runner isn't done going
through the queue by the time it's time to start the next, there can be many
queue runners working at the same time, up to the limit set by queue_run_max.

So, you can do the following:

* Start queue runners more often (the interval is set with the -q<time>
command line option; see chapter 5 of the Exim specification).
* Increase queue_run_max or even set it to 0 (meaning unlimited).
* Increase remote_max_parallel (if messages have more than two recipients).

Watch out so that resource usage doesn't go overboard.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@???
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)