[exim] Batched SMTP and suppress_local_fixups - not working?

Author: Tim Bishop
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Batched SMTP and suppress_local_fixups - not working?
Hi all,

I'm having some trouble getting suppress_local_fixups to work with
batched smtp. I have a (presumably) fairly common setup for spam
checking with exim receiving messages and then feeding them back
to another exim process using spamc as a transport filter. They're
fed from one exim process to the other using batched smtp:

    command = /usr/local/bin/exim -oMr spam-scanned -os 5m -bS
    transport_filter = /usr/local/bin/spamc -x -U ...
      use_bsmtp = true

During this process a Date header, amongst other things, is added
if it doesn't exist. Reading the docs it's my understanding that
using suppress_local_fixups will fix this. So I've added an acl:

    acl_not_smtp_start = acl_not_smtp_start

    acl_not_smtp_start:
      accept  control       = suppress_local_fixups

This works fine for locally-generated messages, and when using
-d+acl it shows it doing so:

    using ACL "acl_not_smtp_start"
    processing "accept"
    check control = suppress_local_fixups

However, if I add -bS to the command line it behaves differently
and says:

    skipping ACL configuration - not needed

I'd be willing to believe this was a "feature" if it wasn't for the
following in the docs:

    40.3 The non-SMTP ACLs

    The non-SMTP ACLs apply to all non-interactive incoming
    messages, that is, they apply to batched SMTP as well as
    to non-SMTP messages.

So I must be missing something. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Tim.

--
Tim Bishop