Re: [exim] message_size_limit error

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Knaupp, Thomas
To: Alex, exim-users @ exim. org
Betreff: Re: [exim] message_size_limit error
| I have this rule
| message_size_limit = 15M in my configure file
|
| But if i try to send an email with an atachment 11,7 MB
| I have this error
|
| 2007-01-18 13:50:41 1H7WiD-000075-Em rejected f (parasit)
| [130.206.126.138]:
| message too big: read=16167122 max=15728640

first hit I found using google:

This occurs because of the way internet email works. Basically, email is
an old standard from many, many years ago that originally started as
purely text data. Over time, as people wanted to send attachments and
the like, they updated the standard to include them, but also tried to
keep it backward compatible so older email systems at least wouldn't
'break' the messages.

To this end, any attachment added to an email is usually encoded into a
form called 'base64'. In this system, each group of 3 binary bytes is
encoded into 4 ASCII characters. This means a couple of things.

    * All characters in emails are always ASCII so existing systems are
not confused or broken
    * Any binary attachments are expanded by 1/3 (eg 33% bigger, 30k
becomes 40k, etc)

Regards,
Tom