Re: [exim] Hardware for emailserver for 500 to 1000 Users

Author: Chris Lightfoot
To: Rainer Sigl
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Hardware for emailserver for 500 to 1000 Users
On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 09:02:24AM +0100, Rainer Sigl wrote:
> What (PC) hardware (I/O performance, throughput) is to be recommended
> for a email server with exim4, courier imap, sqwebmail, postgresql for
> authentication of the virtual users, etc.
> for about 500 - 1000 users?

this is going to depend on how busy the server will be.
how many emails per hour are you expecting people to
receive (legitimate and spam/virus/backscatter) and send?
how much IMAP activity? how big are their mailboxes going
to be? how much CPU time will you need to spend on
antispam and antivirus filtering? once you know all that
you can estimate the demands on the disk subsystem and on
CPU and memory.

or you could just buy the cheapest machine you think won't
get you laughed out of the data center, and then buy a
bigger one when it proves inadequate.

--
``When I am right, I get angry. Churchill gets angry when he's wrong.
So we were often angry at each other.'' (Charles De Gaulle)