[exim] Synchronisation error

Author: Johann Spies
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Synchronisation error
A Windows montoring server needs to send out email on our system and
it's administrator complained to me that the server could not send email
through our three exim-based servers.

The logs revealed synchronization errors. So I tried to remedy the
situation by using the following on one of the Exim servers and
requested the administrator to configure his monitoring server to send
it to this spesific one:

warn hosts = 146.232.20.62
     control = no_enforce_sync

The result was:

2007-01-09 14:52:51 1H4GTD-0005fO-CF <=
UoS-DS4000-Storage-Manager@??? H=svcconsole.stb.sun.ac.za
(146.232.20.62) [146.232.20.62] P=smtp S=721
2007-01-09 14:52:51 1H4GTD-0005fO-CF => apcn@???
<apcn@???> R=relayrouter T=remote_smtp H=stbbh.stb.sun.ac.za
[146.232.20.30]
2007-01-09 14:52:51 1H4GTD-0005fO-CF Completed

2007-01-09 14:54:42 SMTP protocol violation: synchronization error
(input sent without waiting for greeting): rejected connection from
H=svcconsole.stb.sun.ac.za [146.232.20.62] input="HELO
146.232.20.62\r\n"

And the last one was repeated for all the following efforts.

Why would the first email succeed and all the following ones fail?
Before the above configuration was implemented, there was not one
successful attempt.

I know the "HELO 146.232.20.62\r\n" is not desireable but this could not
be the sole case of the rejection - or am I wrong?

What else can I do to allow this server to send email?

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall
      stand at the latter day upon the earth"
                                       Job 19:25