Re: [exim-dev] Old topic again: Option to avoid fsync()?

Top Pagina
Auteur: Daniel Tiefnig
Aan: exim-dev
Onderwerp: Re: [exim-dev] Old topic again: Option to avoid fsync()?
Michael Haardt wrote:
>> Maybe the no-fsync stuff should be limited to non-daemon mode
>> operation?
>
> I don't think the delivery process knows much about running under a
> queue runner spawned by a daemon or by a manually started queue
> runner or as part of direct manual delivery.

Ah, no. I just meant to include a check into exim's options parsing that
will abort on "exim -bd --no-fsync". (however --no-fsync will be called)

>> I think "exim -qff" would do the trick for Michael, (and for me)
>> wouldn't it? Michael?
>
> I don't use Exim queue runners for larger systems, because they do
> not scale with a growing queue.

Hmm, so what are we talking about then? :o)

> Unfortunately, the frequent fsync() calls still impose a large
> penalty for queue runners, even if those omit them. Try running one
> queue runner with fsync and the rest without, and you won't see much
> improvement.

Well, you can of course disable regular queueruns while messing around.
The listening daemon may make some problems, but you can (re)start it
with "-odq" at least.

> Ah, the joy of "distributions".

I just thought it won't hurt to ask...

lg,