Re: [exim] Singleuser problem

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Niels Rasmussen
Para: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [exim] Singleuser problem
On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 05:49:04PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:

> >I've found a very good explanation for configuring exim4 for my use.
> >
> >After some heavy googling I found this:
> >http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-exim4-users/2006-July/000714.html
>
> ... which is an application of what is in the documentation. Why, oh
> why, do people refuse to read the docs?
>
> I even _QUOTED_ the relvant part of the documentation here and first
> thing is the user does is ignore these docs and fire up google. This
> is _very_ frustrating.

Naah I dont think so. See I am not a IT-technician nor a programmer, and
certainly not a englishspeaking person who are used to read docs in his
native language.

All I want was to solve this problem right here, right now before my head
would explode. I've read dozens of sites and files and still didn't got
the clue, and it have cost me several sleepless nights goin wonder where
the hech I should put the gracious lines that would solve my problem.

Please note that I've decided to translate the contribution in the url
above into danish, so that people (at least from DK) wont bother you
with silly questions ;-P

I know very well that mastering Linux is "learning by doing", but one
must face his defeat in the end, and consult the mailinglist to get these simple
solutions.

I can't speak for other people, but when I decide to join a mailinglist
it is the absolute "last recall" ! ;-)

> >When following this recipe (except for #4: here I replaced the * with
> >my ISP's smtp-servername)
> >
> >IT WORKS !!!!!!! :-)
> >
> >The only issue left is if this workaround has any debian or security
> >issues ??
>
> It has security issues. As AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS suggests,
> you are now transmitting your password in the clear. But if your
> smarthost does not allow STARTTLS, you need to authenticate in the
> clear.

Yup, and thats excactly what I was showing you with the screenshot I've
uploaded. My ISP smtp-server doesn't support neither SSH nor TLS.

But thanks for your time anyway :-)

--
/Niels
Registred Linux user #133791