Re: [exim-dev] Old topic again: Option to avoid fsync()?

Top Pagina
Auteur: Matt Bernstein
Aan: Michael Haardt
CC: exim-dev
Onderwerp: Re: [exim-dev] Old topic again: Option to avoid fsync()?
At 15:21 +0100 Michael Haardt wrote:

> If you have a previously overloaded system that built up a large queue,
> disabling fsync() is like an overboost switch: Not for regular operation,
> but it solves the problem and brings you back to regular operation,
> allowing to care about the original problem.

I try to avoid r/w contention by using full data journalling with external
journals, which are on physically different (and hopefully faster) HDDs. I
believe this is good practice for synchronous I/O like mail and NFS.

For real psychopathic I-don't-care-about-my-data cases you can always use
tmpfs..