Re: [exim] Singleuser problem

Author: Niels Rasmussen
To: Renaud Allard
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Singleuser problem
On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 22:53:47 +0100
Renaud Allard <renaud@???> wrote:

> This does not look like the same error message as the one you got in
> the first place. But now your host seems to be able to solve
> asmtp.mail.dk. The name asmtp.mail.dk seems singular to me because of
> the A in Asmtp.mail.dk.
>
> After a telnet to know you smarthost capabilities:
> telnet asmtp.mail.dk 25
> Trying 195.41.46.252...
> Connected to asmtp.mail.dk.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 asmtp.mail.dk ESMTP server (InterMail vG.2.02.00.00
> 201-2161-120-101-20051020) ready Sun, 7 Jan 2007 22:38:24 +0100
> ehlo mail.eriador.org
> 250-asmtp.mail.dk
> 250-HELP
> 250-XREMOTEQUEUE
> 250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN
> 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-DSN
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250 SIZE 10240000
>
> It seems your smarthost supports AUTH, and more than probably requires
> it to be able to send outgoing mail.
>
> Now, maybe your smarthost supports SMTP after POP AUTH or something
> like that. This may explain why sylpheed works while mutt does not.
>
> I think you should look at providing authentication for outgoing SMTP
> transactions in your client. Since mutt just relies on the MTA of the
> computer running the MUA and you run exim on this computer, you should
> have a look in how to configure exim to provide SMTP authentication
> as a client like described here:
> http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.63/doc/html/spec_html/ch33.html#id2662980

I think I understand the functionality of how exim works with
authentication. But my problem is that I dont know where or which file
I have to edit to make this work :/

I've taken a screenshot of the account setup taken from sylpheed.

http://www.egenweb.dk/screenshot_accounts.png

Could you please direct me to the right file to edit ?

Thanks.

--
/Niels
Registred Linux user #133791