Re: [exim] exigrep on rejectlog

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] exigrep on rejectlog
jean-paul natola wrote:

>>> I have used exigrep on the mainlog before
>>>
>>> exigrep jnatola /var/log/exim/mainlog
>>>
>>> Now i'm trying to use it on the rejectlog
>>>
>>> exigrep jnatola /var/log/exim/rejectlog
>>>

>>> and I get no results - can exigrep be used on the rejectlog?
>> Certainly!
>>
>> Simple tests:
>>
>> exigrep rejected /var/log/exim/rejectlog
>>
>> exigrep spam /var/log/exim/rejectlog
>>
>> If:
>>
>> exigrep jnatola /var/log/exim/rejectlog
>>
>> - neither will return hits on something that is not there...
>>

> thats what I thought, However, see below
>
> milter# grep jnatola /var/log/exim/rejectlog
>         for jnatola@???; Fri, 05 Jan 2007 12:27:31 -0500
> T To: jnatola@???

> milter# exigrep jnatola /var/log/exim/rejectlog
> milter#

Muhhh...

Works here on fractional email addresses (FreeBSD 6.X, euid of 0)

So ... what user are you running each as?

I *suspect* that:

- you are NOT 'root'

- your 'grep' binary has execute privileges for all users & read-acess to the
~/rejectlog file

- your 'exigrep' binary may not have (both) for the euid you are invoking it as...

Can you try it as 'sudo exigrep jnatola /var/log/exim/rejectlog'. ELSE su to
'root', and/or change the perms?

HTH,

Bill