Re: [exim] tuning exim4, openafs, kerberos to work together

Author: Daniel Tiefnig
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] tuning exim4, openafs, kerberos to work together
Steger Jozsef wrote:
> I would like to achieve that when a mail is received it should be
> delivered in the user's home/Maildir, which is an openafs export.

OMG. Well, let's give it a try, allthough I've absolutely no experience
with openafs or kerberos. So I'm just writing what comes to my mind,
don't blame me if you don't have a backup. :o)

> It makes me have a feeling PAM is not properly configured for exim or
> exim doens't digest it as I expect.

Exim does not use PAM when it changes IDs, it just changes IDs.

But there is PAM support for SMTP authentication in exim. Maybe you can
use that to somehow get things to work. There's an expansion condition
called "pam"[0] which is intended to be used in authentication drivers,
but I think you should be able to use it anywhere else. You may have to
store your users passwords in a database, though.
Then just combine the username from the recipient address with the
stored password, and add it as a condition for your router. Like:

condition = ${if pam {${lc:$local_part}:${lookup ...}}

I have no idea whether this will really buy you anything, but I'd give
it a try.

Oh, I also think exim is running as user "exim" or whatever (i.e. not
with uid 0) when it does the routing, so you may have to install that
patched version of pam_unix, the exim specification talks about.

HTH,
daniel

[0]
http://exim.inode.at/exim-html-4.62/doc/html/spec_html/ch11.html#id2560436