Re: [exim] blocking apostrophe emails

Author: Mike Cardwell
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] blocking apostrophe emails
* on the Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 04:20:59PM +0100, Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:

> Does it make sense and does any one have a rule to block emails based on
> whether in the FROM field there are characters like ' (e.g.
> Kirstenspider's@???)?
>
> I get quite a few such spam emails and not all are caught by RBLs. From
> what I understand apostrophes are not allowed in email addresses? Thanks
> for advice.

I was getting a lot of spam attempts with apostrophes in the sender address
local part, but they generally got picked up by different filters. It's not
happening as much now as it was about a month ago. I don't personally know
of anyone who contacts me regularly that has an apostrophe in their email
address but they are allowed and there must be people out there using them
in their email addresses. I wouldn't recommend outright rejection of such
emails, but it might be worth scoring on it, or greylisting them.

You know who/what emails you, and we don't. You're in a better position to
make the judgement than anyone on this list.

Mike