Re: [exim] Am I Hacked?

Author: Wakko Warner
To: Heiko Schlittermann
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Am I Hacked?
Heiko Schlittermann wrote:
> Rick Lutowski <rick@???> (Do 04 Jan 2007 18:11:34 CET):
> > Is there any way to disable the kind of access he
> > demonstrated without compromising normal exim
> > operation?
>
> I'm not sure if in Exim 3.x you could reject unknown users already at
> SMTP time, but if you'd upgrade to Exim 4.x: you can.
> (AFAIR Debians install script tries to convert the config, but I'm not
> sure, so be prepared to be challenged :))

IIRC, Exim 3.x can reject unknown recipients at SMTP time, I forget the
version but I do recall this. I was late on upgrading, but that was years
ago! =)

Given this, I'd highly recommend that he not place his SMTP server back
online until he has a basic understanding of what is going on. Converting
his current to v4.x config will pretty much give him the same vulnerability
(This is an assumption, but, as stated, you shouldn't rely solely on convert
script to generate a corretly working config)

Got Gas???