Re: [exim] SMTP vs Submission (port 25 vs 587)

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Wakko Warner
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP vs Submission (port 25 vs 587)

--On 3 January 2007 17:36:28 -0500 Wakko Warner <wakko@???> wrote:

>> Anyone local who also uses external mail servers (say, your staff's
>> personal email providers, or visitor's mail providers) will need to be
>> able to use port 587. It's possible that you don't allow staff to
>> access personal mail providers, and it's possible that you don't need
>> to allow visitors to access their email.
>
> Technically, it's against company policy (personal functions on company
> time and company equiptment), but we don't forbid it. I would say from a
> legal standpoint, it might not be a bad idea to forbid it.

Except that you wouldn't bar people from taking personal phone calls (for
family emergencies, for example), so why bar them from using personal
email. If you ban them from using third party providers, then they *will*
use their business address for personal matters. If they do that, you can
get into real problems - it could then be illegal to transfer an ex-staff
member's email to their successor, because you could also be passing
personal email in contravention of the data protection act.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex