Re: [exim] send unknown recipients to black hole

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: theal, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] send unknown recipients to black hole

--On 3 January 2007 16:04:30 -0500 Tony Heal <theal@???> wrote:

> Is there a way to send messages to recipients that do not have a valid
> email address on my system to a black hole. I do not want to bounce
> these, just make them go away. Example, message to johndoe@???.
> I have no johndoe and I do not want to bounce this, I just want it to go
> away.

Reject, don't bounce or blackhole. Bounces will go to victims of sender
address spoofing. Blackholing will leave senders ignorant of their error,
and that can be costly - there's at least one case in UK law where a
company lost a legal arbitration because they blackholed the notification
of the arbitration case.

Rejected mails will be bounced back the the sender by their MTA, except in
the case os spam when they'll effectively be blackholed by the spambot.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex