Re: [exim] SMTP vs Submission (port 25 vs 587)

Author: David Saez Padros
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP vs Submission (port 25 vs 587)
Hi !!

> I've been searching for information about why it is a good idea to use 587
> instead of 25 but have not found anything convincing. I have hit a brick
> wall where I work since they think that 587 is non-standard (Even after
> showing them RFC 4409) and thus is not wise. Can anyone provide me with any
> links or anything that would argue this case? Unfortunately, email archives
> are not valid for this.

Using port 587 will allow mobile users to send messages even when his
ISP blocks port 25, which is each time more usual on dsl/cable
providers. Another useful thing is that you could reject connections
to port 25 from infected computers (i.e. using some blacklists) before
giving the chance to use smtp auth (for very fast rejection) and allow
your possible infected users to use your server at port 587 even if his
ip gets blacklisted.

--
Best regards ...

I am Homer of Borg. Prepare to be assim... mmmm, donuts.

    On-Line Services 2000 S.L.       e-mail  david@???
    Pintor Vayreda 1                 telf    +34 902 50 29 75
    08184 Palau-Solita i Plegamans   movil   +34 670 35 27 53