Re: [exim] More integer annoyances in 4.65

Author: Exim Mailing List
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] More integer annoyances in 4.65
On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 06:16:31PM +0100, Giuliano Gavazzi wrote:

> sorry, but I do not understand why one would use use an acl_m|cX
> variable without first initialising it (to a default value). Am I
> missing something?

Not all Exim users are experienced programmers and may not understand
why they would have to initialize a variable to zero before they can
do an otherwise simple task.

For example, the following (made-up) example will generate an error
with Exim 4.65 where it worked fine previously:

   warn dnslists = sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org
        set acl_m0 = 1

   warn dnslists = dnsbl.njabl.org
        set acl_m0 = 2

deny condition = ${if >{$acl_m0}{0}}

Keep in mind that it is *documented* that acl_m0 is reset at the beginning
of each message, so a reasonable person may assume that doing a numeric
comparison against it is always safe.

To make this work, I would have to add the following at the beginning, which
a new user to Exim may overlook as being unnecessary:

warn set acl_m0 = 0

--
Dean Brooks
dean@???